Fundraising is proclaiming what you believe in, in such a way as to offer the other person an opportunity to participate in your vision. It is the exact opposite of begging … the donor should not become poorer, but become richer by giving."
Henri Nouwen 'The spirituality of Fundraising'
Any project involving change needs spare change!
I have worked in the voluntary sector for over 20 years prior to becoming a freelance consultant and spent a great deal of this time having to raise funds. For me asking for money is not a “necessary evil” but a chance to make things happen! Indeed even in my own work I am constantly fundraising for projects:
- Raising funds to build a community centre in an area of Colombo in Sri Lanka with a charity I am a trustee of See www.ashatrust.co.uk
- Raising funds for a cafe in the community of which I live in South London – see www.boldvision.org.uk
The services I can offer in this area include:
- Developing a Fundraising strategy for your organisation
- Writing fundraising proposals, appeal leaflets or annual reviews documents
- Writing, design and marketing
- Funding from trusts
- Community fundraising
- Assessing grant applications
In 2008 The Girasol Foundation appointed Stephen to help it understand how best to profile and present The Foundation's work to potential funders. As a team we were enormously impressed with Stephen's understanding of how to develop non-profit organisations and his ability to listen and then interpret and present our work so that it was more accessible for potential funders and partners. Through Stephen’s work we were able to secure a major donation which has helped our organisation to move forward at a much faster pace. I would recommend Stephen's services and his caring, enabling approach to other charities."
John Morris Girasol Foundation